1. Inside Llewyn Davis – A folk singer caught in an eternal recurrence of misfortune. Thanks for showing how beautifully cruel the world is, Coen brothers. My review.
2. Pride – Uplifting drama about a group of homosexuals helping Welsh miners during a strike. Perfect filmmaking. My review.
3. Boyhood – Ten years in the life of a boy growing up, through the small tragedies and dramas of family life. I was disappointed at the time, but it stayed with me a long time. Important and affecting.
4. Interstellar – A flawed but fascinating science fiction film on a huge canvas across space and time. It moved and awed me. My review.
5. Her – A man in love with his operating system. It’s profound and nearly perfect, although it left me a little cold.